Saturday 28 February 2015

Mine & Yours pillowcases - a finished project

My mum and dad have just had their birthdays & I just had to sew them something. 

Yours - Mine Pillowcases
Now, I've been down the quilt path before. I sent mum an EPP hexagon quilt as a gift from Australia to England. Due to the value I put on the customs form (for insurance purposes I didn't simply put the value of the fabrics as it had hours and hours of hand work in it) this meant that they had to pay additional taxes at the other end.  So, a lesson learned, don't send them quilts!
Mine Pillowcase
I did want to make them something, so I opted for pillowcases. My dad, like most, enjoys his 'dad's jokes' so this mine and yours pair seemed perfect, I can see the conversation now!
Dad's Joke!!

I tried using the porthole method for the lettering but ended up in a big mess so I opted for this simple reverse applique instead.
Yours Pillowcase close up

Each pillowcase has been densely quilted using over 800m of thread and taking many hours to complete.  
Quilting close up on Yours Pillowcase
I have used a number of free motion quilting motifs in them and each has a heart quilted into it ♡, can you see them?
Quilting close up on Mine Pillowcase
As usual I backed the quilted front with muslin and constructed the pillowcases with French seams - nothing left exposed.
Close up of seams INSIDE the pillowcase
And each is finished with one of my new labels.
Label on Pillowcase
I love these. They look so simple, and yet the texture up close is amazing and I'm sure that they will soften with each wash.
Mine & Yours pillowcases
These are now at home with my mum and dad - Happy Birthday to you both ♡

Thank you for popping by,
Vicki

2 comments:

  1. We are calling round this morning and will ask for a private view!! The pillowcase look superb xx

    ReplyDelete