Tuesday 26 May 2015

Crooked Chevron Quilt - A finished Project

This was the first 'proper' quilt I made after jumping in at the deep end with hubby's denim quilt, I love the bright colours in this quilt



The pictures aren't the best quality as they were taken in a rush on Christmas morning last year so that we could gift it!




In my 'wing it' style I started creating half square triangles (HST) and then spent simply hours deciding on a pattern - you are lucky I didn't photograph all of the options. As you can see from the above, it was obvious more HST units were needed!

Of course once I decided on a layout I had to calculate the finished size and just how many more HST units were required.  I ended up drawing it out on squared paper - which also proved useful when piecing it all together



I chose to sandwich this with 100% bamboo batting and a home decor weight cotton, which just seemed to work so well with the brightly coloured top.



I tried hard not to have like fabrics together, but the photo above shows I didn't win on that front, however I don't think anyone else will notice!

I really wish that I had taken pictures of the quilting prior to washing (lesson learned) because I jumped right in at the deep end, on my second quilt EVER I decided to go with free motion quilting (FMQ).  Each white zigzag has a different FMQ pattern - bubbles, feathers, figure eights ... it took nearly as long to decide what I was going to quilt as the quilting itself!!



In the coloured zigzag's I quilted every other one with 5 straight lines following the zigzag from edge to edge.

The numerous quilting patterns used means that this quilt has wonderful texture.


This was gifted to my mother-in-law for Christmas 2013 and it now spends its time sitting on her bed.

Thank you for popping by,
Vicki


1 comment: