Friday 19 December 2014

My Second Denim Quilt - A finished project

Welcome!

After making the denim quilt for hubby, I blogged about it here, I knew I wanted to try another.  Something a little more traditional, yet still a little querky.


Denim Strip Quilt

So here is it is!  It still has pockets to hide things in, and is also made from those old jeans (and a skirt) that were past their use by date, the ones that can only be sent to landfill.




After the first learning experience I ensured I had a nice flat surface to work with.

I don't have any progress pictures but I will briefly outline how I did this so that you can make one too.

After gathering some old pairs of jeans I started by cutting strips, as long as possible, with varying widths: 1.5, 2.5, 3.5, 4.5, 5.5 and 6.5 inches.



I cut the wider strips first and incorporated the pockets, As you can see in the picture above I also cut strips that included the seams in the jeans.

I kept all of the pockets the same way around and toward one end of the quilt - my theory was that if it was a cold night and I needed the remote and a snack nearby I needed to be able to reach the pockets!



I then started sewing strips together, narrower strips to match the width of wider strips and then length wise to make the length of the quilt I wanted.  Some of the pieced strips from top to bottom stay narrow whilst others create wider strips.

As I completed each strip I lay them out to ensure even colour dispersion and that the horizontal seams didn't all sit together. 
The above picture shows the quilt top before trimming.  I sewed each strip by squaring off one end of the quilt first and leaving the other end to be trimmed.


To finish this quilt I backed it with a gorgeous soft minky, used a 100% bamboo batting and quilted 1 inch lines.  To ensure all the pockets are still functional the quilting lines stop and start on either side of the pocket.

I bound it with a bright lime zig zag print which I think contrasts nicely.  It is however, the first and only time I have attempted machine binding - I usually do it by hand - and it is far from perfect hence no close ups there!

This has been finished for a while and was used regularly to snuggle under during the winter months - that minky is so soft and cuddly!

Thank you for popping by
Vicki

1 comment: